Unless you have been in a cave for the last couple of years (which, I wouldn’t blame you given the chaos that has been 2020 and 2021), you likely know that TikTok is huge and has been growing exponentially. They’ve invested a significant amount in media, so if it feels like a TikTok is being discussed on every radio program or TV morning show – you’re right, it has been because they are making sure of it!
What began as a platform popular with younger users who used it to share short videos of themselves lip syncing and dancing, TikTok exploded during the pandemic to include content on every topic imaginable and has attracted diverse users – from business owners to baby boomers. Marketers should consider TikTok as an effective marketing channel, as its user base continues to grow and brands are seeing significant engagement and ROI.
So where does a brand begin in the TikTok-verse? Here are some tips for creating engaging and relevant content on TikTok:
1) Make it short and sweet. – According to a study done by StreamElements, the average view time on TikTok is between 15-20 seconds. While they have opened up the platform for longer videos which can be useful for tutorials and how-to content, try to keep the majority of TikTok content around the sweet spot of 17 seconds.
2) Make it creative. – TikTok might not be the first place brands think of when brainstorming content creation ideas, but its short-form video format can make creativity a must for successful campaigns on the platform. Many brands are using TikTok to promote seasonal events like Halloween by creating spooky videos with costumes and gruesome make up, while others wait until an important holiday or anniversary to post content that would be relevant for their audience. Consider your brand’s social calendar, then use this idea as inspiration for creating eye catching videos that get people talking! For example, if you sell kitchen supplies around Thanksgiving time, consider posting some festive recipes.
3) Follow what’s trending. – TikTok is still about people (and brands!) recreating trending content in their own way. Spend time watching content from other brands and creators, especially how they hop on trends, and get creative with the way YOUR brand injects itself genuinely on a trend. For example, the current “Winter Games” trend, brands like Urbanears and Sprint have been creating content that pays homage to winter sports.
4) Engage and comment. – Creators and fans LOVE IT when brands comment on their videos – especially if you can stay true to brand and serve up some wit with your comments. Language app Duolingo has killed it on TikTok with hilarious content, but also by mastering the comment game.
In addition to commenting on TikTok videos, creators love when brands tag them in their own posts so they can engage with the creator. A great way to do this is by sharing a piece of content from another account and tagging the original creator or “dueting” a popular TikTok.
Measuring Success on TikTok
Measuring the success of your TikTok campaigns can be tricky, but there are a few key metrics to keep in mind. Here are three tips for measuring the success of your campaigns:
1) Watch the view count. – This one might seem obvious, but keeping an eye on how many people are watching your videos is a good indicator of how successful your campaign is.
2) Check out the likes and shares. – In addition to watching the view count, it’s also important to track how many likes and shares your videos are getting. This will give you an idea of not only how popular your video is, but also how well it’s resonating with your audience.
3) Use hashtags. – Hashtags are on of the top ways content is found on TikTok, so use them wisely and make sure to track the hashtags you use.
The future of TikTok is that it’s becoming one of the most relevant platforms of the moment. And, they are investing a lot of resources to ensure they don’t become the latest fad channel, but that they become a major player for brands to engage with consumers. Brands are already seeing significant engagement and ROI from campaigns on the platform and as more and more people adopt TikTok as their go-to social media channel, it’s important for marketers to stay ahead of the curve and learn how to use the platform to its fullest potential.
Subscribe To My Weekly Newsletter
GET MY LATEST VIDEOS AND BEST PRACTICES TO GROW YOUR BUSINESS EXPONENTIALLY
Leave A Comment